In a world of music with an ever expanding list of names to describe the genre a band best embodies,Viva Le Vox further defies and challenges a label.This quartet of characters hailing from Lake Worth, Fla. has been described as both a "full bodied religious experience" and a "hillbilly zombie circus" due to their unparalleled performance and exaggerated twist on punk, rock, and soul.With two album releases under their belts and a zealous tour schedule, the group is wowing audiences across the country.The guys took time from spreading their merriment and insanity to shed some light on what Viva Le Vox has planned next.
How did you decide on the name Viva Le Vox?
- It decided on us.
You describe your music as Roots Rock-N-Roll.
What do you hope that conveys?
- Dirt and rotting wood, maybe some mold for good measure.
What musicians are Viva Le Vox influenced
by the most?
- Jelly Roll Morton, Captain Beefheart, Lux Interior, Danny Elfman, Billie Holiday, Lonnie Donnegan, Professor Longhair, Joe Strummer,The Oblivians, Howlin' Wolf, Mr. Quintron,The Kinks, Duane Peters, Johnny Thunders, Marc Bolan, and THE RAMONES to name a few.
How did you transition from playing midnight shows at laundromats to performing at festivals and touring across country?
-It's simple, you just play anywhere and everywhere you can at any and every chance that presents itself. Eventually, people start asking you back over and over again.And it wouldn't be possible without the undying help and support of a long list of good people.
Viva Le Vox will be performing at the Muddy Roots Music Festival in Tennessee this September. Who else is on the line-up that you’re excited to see?
-EVERYBODY, especially O'Death, Reverend Deadeye,The Goddamn Gallows, Jayke Orvis, Rachel Brooke, Highlonesome, Sasquatch and the Sickabillys, goddamnit everybody, I said.
You released “Desperation Alley” in 2009 and “Wayward Ones” in 2010. Plans to record another album this year?
- Yeah we got plans.We hope to hit the studio this summer and put out a full length.
Who has the most unique tattoo? The most tattoos?
- Antoine has the most unique ones; I guess that's how you could describe them.And Paultergeist owns the "most tattoos" category.
Does the band have a favorite tattoo artist?
-Yeah, Paultergeist. He's been tattooing professionally for nine years.
What does Viva Le Vox have in store for fans this summer and fall?
-Tour, tour, tour, new record, tour and tour.After we tour for a bit we might take a break to tour some.
- Kris Melton - Rockfist Reviews